Are 20 Monitors Enough For One Trader? You Decide.

October 2012 Update: I teamed up with iBUYPOWER to build the ultimate trading computer on a value budget.

Talk about a crazy setup. The picture below is of fund manager Adam Sender showing off his new office and trading station setup. Apparently he is an art collector as well, so I am convinced either he has a mad case of ADD or he just really likes looking at images.

multi monitor setup, trading station

Do you see 20 monitors as well or am I missing a few?

And don't forget to check out these other trading systems:

1. The Dream Multi Monitor Trading Station
  2. 24 Monitor computer setup
  3. 7 Monitor work station

Comments

1. Posted by The Financial Blogger on September 25, 2007 at 6:26 am

I think there are 3 or 4 hiding under his desk!

2. Posted by MillionDollarJourney on September 25, 2007 at 6:37 am

Man, how many PC's would you need to run all those monitors!

3. Posted by Mikel on September 25, 2007 at 7:53 am

We set these types of PC's up often and there are limits as to how crazy you can go. you can scale UP (bigger machine doing all) or you can scale OUT (more machines each doing less). Scaling out is far easier and in the long run seems more reliable. So you get any given pc with a "quad" card which allows 4 monitors. Take the number of monitors divided by 4 and you'll get an idea how many pc's are under the desk.
    You CAN go with 8 monitor cards but then the pc is reduced to doing very little more than drawing monitor graphics.
    Our typical trader gets 2 pc's with 2 monitors on each, one runs bloomberg and the other exerything else. if one goes down, the other can take over. It works well for our shop.

4. Posted by Blain on September 25, 2007 at 10:33 am

I like that idea, and use to do the same, 2 computers with 2 monitors each. I think the ultimate setup for myself would be one computer running 4 with just financials all day long, then make trades off the other one running 2 monitors. That's my "plan" one day atleast.

I think the only annoying part is the excess number of keyboards and mice if you had say 4 computers running.

5. Posted by Kavit Haria on September 25, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Wonder what his electricity bill is?

6. Posted by Mikel on September 26, 2007 at 7:09 am

The keyboards and mice are the biggest compalint had by the traders. one option is to use a KVM switch (which allows multi pcs to one keyboard and mouse). The upside of scaling out is that you won't be completely down if one computer dies on you.

7. Posted by Pavel G. on September 26, 2007 at 5:59 pm

Seems a bit overboard, however, I can totally see the advantage of having each chart on each screen instead of minimizing them. I only have 2 20 inch wide screens by viewsonic, thinking of doubling that, however. Even one of these isn't enough to maintain my watch lists.

8. Posted by Stock Chartist on September 27, 2007 at 7:46 am

Anybody know what his performance track record might be? With this graph and real-time information overload, returns better be sky-high.

9. Posted by Blain on September 27, 2007 at 11:11 am

haha, ya you would think he was a good trader. What if the guy is down on the year? It would be such a waste of monitors... :twisted:

10. Posted by gary mac on September 18, 2008 at 6:10 pm

he looks like a twat,probabley is as well

11. Posted by automated futures trader on May 25, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Does he run different indicators and methodologies on each computer?
    Or is it the same indicators for different stocks?

Just curious.

12. Posted by McKaig on September 7, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Lovin' the "hand" cream. I bet stock trading isn't the only thing buddy uses these monitors for.

13. Posted by Kelly on January 24, 2010 at 7:39 am

I see 21 monitors. Ones not even on and the other is a small, 7" maybe, monitor on the center desktop on the right. It looks like it has a chart on it. The one that isn't on is located on his right desktop below one that is on. I can't image physically monitoring these displays all the time. I suppose he just waits for alerts and makes a quick scan a couple of times a day. It seems like a waste of energy. I'm sure there are more efficient ways of monitoring your trading.

14. Posted by stephen on May 1, 2011 at 3:02 am

hi

i am in economist and i want to set up 2 large monitors what equipment do i need what software do i need show the charts i am starting from scratch

15. Posted by Blain on May 1, 2011 at 9:21 pm

You just need a computer that has two monitor outs via its graphics card. Two monitor systems are very easy to setup and most computers support them.