Are 20 Monitors Enough For One Trader? You Decide.

October 2012 Update: I teamed up with iBUYPOWER to build the ultimate trading computer on a value budget.

Talk about a crazy setup. The picture below is of fund manager Adam Sender showing off his new office and trading station setup. Apparently he is an art collector as well, so I am convinced either he has a mad case of ADD or he just really likes looking at images.

multi monitor setup, trading station

Do you see 20 monitors as well or am I missing a few?

And don’t forget to check out these other trading systems:

1. The Dream Multi Monitor Trading Station
  2. 24 Monitor computer setup
  3. 7 Monitor work station

Join 17,000 Investors

Receive Daily Market Recaps directly in your email inbox!

Log, Store, and Analyze Your Trades

Whether you're a new or seasoned investor, StockTradingToGo Investor Tools help you trade better.
  • Import your trade history into the cloud
  • Run a full performance analysis on all your trades
  • Keep a private trade journal to record your observations
  • Improve your success rate and ultimately make more money!
Get Started Now

Comments

1. Mikel says

We set these types of PC’s up often and there are limits as to how crazy you can go. you can scale UP (bigger machine doing all) or you can scale OUT (more machines each doing less). Scaling out is far easier and in the long run seems more reliable. So you get any given pc with a “quad” card which allows 4 monitors. Take the number of monitors divided by 4 and you’ll get an idea how many pc’s are under the desk.
    You CAN go with 8 monitor cards but then the pc is reduced to doing very little more than drawing monitor graphics.
    Our typical trader gets 2 pc’s with 2 monitors on each, one runs bloomberg and the other exerything else. if one goes down, the other can take over. It works well for our shop.

2. says

I like that idea, and use to do the same, 2 computers with 2 monitors each. I think the ultimate setup for myself would be one computer running 4 with just financials all day long, then make trades off the other one running 2 monitors. That’s my “plan” one day atleast.

I think the only annoying part is the excess number of keyboards and mice if you had say 4 computers running.

3. Mikel says

The keyboards and mice are the biggest compalint had by the traders. one option is to use a KVM switch (which allows multi pcs to one keyboard and mouse). The upside of scaling out is that you won’t be completely down if one computer dies on you.

4. Pavel G. says

Seems a bit overboard, however, I can totally see the advantage of having each chart on each screen instead of minimizing them. I only have 2 20 inch wide screens by viewsonic, thinking of doubling that, however. Even one of these isn’t enough to maintain my watch lists.

5. McKaig says

Lovin’ the “hand” cream. I bet stock trading isn’t the only thing buddy uses these monitors for.

6. Kelly says

I see 21 monitors. Ones not even on and the other is a small, 7″ maybe, monitor on the center desktop on the right. It looks like it has a chart on it. The one that isn’t on is located on his right desktop below one that is on. I can’t image physically monitoring these displays all the time. I suppose he just waits for alerts and makes a quick scan a couple of times a day. It seems like a waste of energy. I’m sure there are more efficient ways of monitoring your trading.

7. stephen says

hi

i am in economist and i want to set up 2 large monitors what equipment do i need what software do i need show the charts i am starting from scratch

8. says

You just need a computer that has two monitor outs via its graphics card. Two monitor systems are very easy to setup and most computers support them.